Treating well water with ECA has shown massive performance and efficiency increases due to the reduction of foreign bodies.
As the saying goes: “Without water there is no life.” Unfortunately, that also means, where there is water, there is life in terms of pathogens and bacteria. Poor sanitation and unsafe water cause nearly 20% of workplace deaths (source: UN fact sheet). ECA dramatically improves well water efficiency and performance.
Here are just a few of the CONCERNS when it comes to water well contamination that lead to poor water efficiency and performance.
• Biofilm loves water wells! A biofilm is any group of microorganisms in which cells stick to each other. These adherent cells become embedded within a slimy extracellular matrix that is composed of extracellular polymeric substances. Biofilms can be a leading cause for recontamination. The dark, moist lining of the well provides great nooks and crannies for Biofilms to thrive!
• Foreign bodies and debris may cause a bottleneck in flow of the water, hindering operations.
• Water wells can be contaminated directly by natural runoff from rainfall events – or by insects and small animals.
• Disease-causing organisms (pathogens) may be present in well water. The environment is teeming with microorganisms, such as bacteria, protozoa and viruses. Microbial water quality may be compromised with respect to the presence of these microorganisms.
• Well water contamination may naturally occur due to chemicals and minerals in the surrounding soil and material of the well walls.
• Local land use methods can contaminate the well water (fertilizers, pesticides and concentrated feeding operations), manufacturing processes, and sewer overflows or wastewater releases.
• Any groundwater contamination from ponds or surface water can affect your well.
• If your well doesn’t have a drainage apron and head wall to prevent surface water, as well as insects and rodents from entering the well including a clay sanitary seal, your water could be at risk.
So why not use chlorine to disinfect your well water?
• HSCH and bleach pose a serious health hazard due to chlorine gas (full protective clothing and a breathing apparatus is recommended).
• Commonly applied concentrations of Chlorine are NOT effective against all pathogens (e.g. cysts and viruses, which require higher chlorine concentrations).
• Chlorine can never be added to turbid water – because suspended particles can protect microorganisms.
The bottom line in business terms: poor water efficiency leaves the proverbial flood gate wide open for high health risks, contamination and repeated outbreaks of infection that lead to productivity loss, financial strain & risk of disease.
Luckily there are safe, effective alternatives to chlorine – much better options for complete hygiene control and efficiency in your water wells.